Friday, February 22, 2008

Influences

As a musician, I have lots of influences. My dad shared me some Beatles stuff, and I really love them. My mom also loves the said British band, but she prefers the Carpenters more than the Fab Four. One of the greatest classic Filipino artists, Apo Hiking Society, had their music played on Philippine radio just like many other classic Filipino and foreign ones. At the height of my dad's career as a disc jockey in my hometown, Davao City, The Eraserheads were a huge success at that time. When I was still in the 5th grade, my parents bought Don Moen cassette tapes, and those ones really inspire us, and we loved to listen those songs over and over again. Together with those Moen materials were some jazz music, especially the instrumental ones. After the era of "manufactured" pop artists, the Linkin Park fever came like a storm, and their music caught my attention. In fact, it was the first time that I became a fan of a loud, heavy rock band. After LP's comeback with their second album ,"Meteora", I tried to make songs of my own, together with a classmate of mine. The music that I've made were heavily influenced by Linkin Park. Later on, I tried to make pop ballads to get out of my conventional LP-influenced style of music.

Then college life came. When I was able to form a band of mine, we were able to make comedy rock music, in our very own Cebuano language, out of making a single one in a certain practice session. When I decided to quit, I formed an another group. And this time, we wrote serious rock ballads in English language. But still, I wasn't contented, until I rediscovered jazz music. Since then, I slowly rediscovered some of my favorite artists when I was still a kid and disovered some new artists and genres, making me a better musician.

And so, here are my influences as a musician:
The Beatles
The Carpenters
Apo Hiking Society
Don Moen
Linkin Park
etc.

And the newly discovered music artists:
Jeff and Sheri Easter
Gaither Vocal Band
Eric Johnson
etc.

1 comment:

amidalea said...

hey rudolf...am glad ur in this blogging stuff already...maybe we could share links.. mine is amidala0507.blogspot.com

u can actually earn dollars from this...u may go to blog2profit.com to know more about it